Light level of 7 or less
Creepers are common hostile mobs.
Creepers naturally spawn in the Overworld on top of solid blocks with a light level of 7 or less.
Creepers will chase after any player, as long as it in 16 block radius. Creepers can climb up ladders and vines like any other mob.
When within one block of a player, a Creeper will hiss loudly, start flashing and inflating, and violently explode after 1.5 seconds. A Creeper's detonation can be halted if the player gets out of the blast radius (about 3 - 5 blocks, depending on the difficulty setting; including by knocking back a Creeper) or kills it. However, the Creeper's fuse countdown lasts a little longer if it encounters a cobweb.
Creepers will flee from ocelots and cats if one is too close, until they are is 25-30 blocks away from the feline.
A Creeper's explosion has a power of 3 (but see an exception below).
Mobs in the vicinity will run away from a creeper that is about to explode (removed in 1.8.1[upcoming]).
Creepers can never be targeted by any other mob, with the exception of Zombie Pigmen.
A charged Creeper is created only when lightning strikes within 3–4 blocks of a normal Creeper, which significantly increases its explosive power. Charged Creepers are distinguished from normal Creepers by the blue aura surrounding them (can be found in power.png in the armor folder).
Their countdown timers act the same as uncharged Creepers, both in terms of range and time. An explosion caused by a charged Creeper is twice as powerful than the explosion caused by a regular Creeper (see image).
Charged Creepers have the same entity ID as normal Creepers. The only difference is that the value of the boolean "powered" tag is set to "1" (true).
Charged Creeper explosions will cause a Zombie, Skeleton, Wither Skeleton, or other Creeper to drop the corresponding mob head, one per explosion.
|0.24_SURVIVAL_TEST||Creepers were first introduced in on August 31, 2009, based on a failed pig model Notch had created (he mixed up the length and height of the body). They were the first mob added in Survival Test.|
|0.26 SURVIVAL TEST 3||Creeper explosions no longer destroy stone or stone-like blocks.|
|Explosions leave smoldering.|
|1.2.0||Creepers have a new damage sound.|
|1.4||The 'A' in the Minecraft logo now includes a Creeper face.|
|1.5||Creepers become charged when struck by lightning, increasing the explosion's radius and strength.|
|1.6||Mobs can no longer be attacked through door windows.|
|1.8||1.8-pre1||Creepers are much more deadly and will definitely kill an unarmored player if in a radius of 4 to 5 blocks around the Creeper. This damage is also difficulty-independent.|
|Sound Update||Creeper explosions have a new sound.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre5||Creepers and other hostile mobs no longer attack the player in Creative mode unless provoked.|
|1.2.1||As part of the AI overhaul, Creepers no longer attack other mobs. Before this update, a Creeper shot by a skeleton would attack the skeleton, creating a crater in the process.|
|1.3.1||12w30a||Creepers were made stronger. Depending on difficulty, Creeper damage is scaled now with Easy: ~50% less damage, Normal: same damage as before, and Hard: ~33% more damage than before. In full diamond armor and hard difficulty a Creeper can knock players down to 2 hearts.|
|1.4.2||12w38b||New Creeper fall mechanics; Creepers will explode if they fall on the player from a certain height.|
|1.6.1||13w18a||Creepers do not explode when hit in Creative mode.|
|1.7.2||13w36a||Creepers can be forcibly exploded using flint and steel.|
|1.8||14w05a||Players can now see from the perspective of a Creeper in spectator mode. A Creeper shader is applied, and the player is limited to the Creeper's movements.|
|14w11a||Witches, zombies, skeletons, spiders, cave spiders, Zombie Pigmen and other Creepers will run away from Creepers that are about to explode.|
|14w30a||Charged Creepers now cause zombies, skeletons, wither skeletons, and other creepers to drop heads.|
|14w30b||Each charged Creeper will cause the drop of only one head, even if multiple head-dropping mobs are killed.|
|1.8.1||1.8.1-pre1||Witches, zombies, skeletons, spiders, cave spiders, zombie pigmen, and other creepers no longer run from Creepers that are about to explode.|
|No longer attack iron golems.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.4.0||Creepers added (with old explosion sounds).|
|0.7.4||Tapping and holding Flint and Steel on a Creeper will cause it to automatically explode.|
|0.9.0||build 2||An ignite button is now used to automatically explode a Creeper when holding flint and steel, instead of tapping and holding.|
|0.9.2||Creepers now have a correct explosion range.|
|Doubled fuse time (would previously explode almost instantly).|
|A softer Creeper hiss sound seems to play randomly when within a few blocks of a hostile mob.|
|TU5||Added charged Creepers.|
|TU12||Creepers no longer attack other mobs. Before this update, a Creeper shot by a skeleton would attack the skeleton, creating a crater in the process.|
|TU14||Creepers were made stronger. Depending on difficulty, Creeper damage is scaled now with Easy: ~50% less damage, Normal: same damage as before, and Hard: ~33% more damage than before. In full diamond armor and hard difficulty a Creeper can knock players down to 2 hearts.|
|Creepers are now aggressive towards the last player that hit them.|
|Increased knockback effect of creeper explosions.|
|Creepers will explode if they fall on players from a certain height.|
Issues relating to "Creeper" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- Notch stated on Twitter that "I imagine [Creepers] as being made out of leaves or similar. I'm not sure why they explode."
- In SMP, if a Creeper is attacked by another player, and the other player runs out of sight, it will not attack any other players.
- When about to detonate, Creepers will cease movement and its head will face directly forward. (Tested in the PC edition).
- When asked how Creepers trigger their explosive nature, Dinnerbone said "They're so nervous that they shake a lot, and then this sets them off the same way as how rubbing two sticks makes fire".
- When attacking, Creepers walk straight, and then once they reach detonation zone, they always strafe to the left of the target entity.
Creepers have a formidable reputation in the community because of their potential to hurt players and destroy structures. Their distinct appearance and destructive abilities have made them a widely-recognizable Minecraft icon. Creepers are referenced in several of the items available at the Minecraft merchandise depot, and have become an internet meme complete with fan art, web comic references, and demotivational posters. A central part of the meme is the Creeper's unofficial catchphrase derived from the mob's tendency to sneak up on the player and hiss before detonating:
"That'sssss a very nice <random valuable object> you've got there... It'd be a ssssshame if anything were to happen to it..."
Creepers have been portrayed in many Minecraft products including but not limited to:
- Stuffed toys.
- Action figures.
- The Creeper Anatomy t-shirt reveals the insides of a Creeper, and also reveals its scientific name: Creepus Explodus.
- LEGO Minecraft
- Minecraft Facebook profile image
- In the goodie-bags given out at Minecon 2011, Creepers were given as a fold-able and tapable decoration for ones room or collection, along with diamond and grass.
- The Custom Map OXM Land made by Oxm Magazine on the Xbox 360 version of Minecraft has a giant Creeper head on it, known as the land's god Creepthulhu.
- Several Creepers have appeared on TV during episodes of the TV show Mad (Criminal Minecraft and ThunderLolcats ) In ThunderLolcats they use the catchphrase, saying "That'ssss.. a nice wall you've got there."
- YouTube hosts many videos that feature Creepers, including review videos, "Let's Play"'s, cartoons, and cameos in many other videos. When searching for the query "Minecraft Creeper", YouTube returns over 500,000 videos.
- In Borderlands 2, Creepers appear in a mineshaft in the most north-west part of Caustic Caverns, including Dirt, Coal Ore, Stone, Gold Ore, and a "Badass Creeper" that is twice the strength and size of a regular Creeper.
- In Airmech, Creepers appear as a unit "skin" for the suicide bomber unit the boomer. Creepers can be either green, blue, or red, depending on the color of the team that makes them.
- In Octodad: Dadliest Catch, a Creeper head is seen on a shelf in the grocery store along with 2 Pickaxes and some grass blocks. It is part of a collection known as "Mintcraft".
- Seen as a Halloween costume in a game called Terraria.
- In Stealing the Diamond, when Henry Stickmin sneaks up to the museum's outer wall with a pickaxe, a Creeper comes up behind him and explodes, destroying part of the wall instead.
- At the far end of the map in Stick RPG2, a smiling creeper can be seen in a hole at ground level.
- One of the things you can hit in Katawa Crash is a Creeper.
- In the game Transformice, there is a creeper head that you may purchase as a hat for your mouse.
- In a game called Quube Twodee made by Universal Chicken in Adelaide, Australia, one of the levels has a Creeper face.
- PixelJunk Shooter 2 for the PS3 shows a small creeper in the title screen hidden among other enemies native to Shooter 2.
- In a Notch-designed custom level for VVVVVV, "Pyramid Escape", a Creeper's face can be seen carved into the background to the far left of the pyramid.
- In Torchlight 2 the Creeper plays an important role in an "Easter egg" mission in the cave named "Notch's cave" where the player walks in and sees a group of Creeper charging the player then exploding. Near the end of the cave you can find a minecraft skinned sword.
- In a game called Strollin, there is a purchasable creeper item, which makes bombs throw you farther.
- In the mobile game Geometry Dash, beating level 16 "Hexagon Force" on normal mode rewards the player a creeper face cube. This can also be colored to make it look like a normal one
- When asked to describe the physical texture of a Creeper, Notch said they would feel "crunchy, like dry leaves".
- On Monday, June 18, 2012, A Creeper was sent above the clouds into space.