The Console Edition introduces new features such as a simpler crafting system, in-game tutorials, and split-screen multiplayer (excluding Vita), as well as online multiplayer for up to eight players online, which requires a PlayStation Plus subscription (PS4 only), Xbox LIVE (requires Xbox Live Gold subscription), Nintendo Network, or Nintendo Switch Online. As with all versions, updates are free of charge.
In summer 2017, the Xbox One and Nintendo Switch Editions will no longer be available on the Microsoft Store or Nintendo eShop, though these editions will still be updated by 4J Studios. People who own these editions will be able to download the new Bedrock Engine version of Minecraft for free, and their worlds and purchased DLC will transfer to the new version. With the Better Together Update, they will have cross-play with each other, as well as the other versions of Minecraft that use the Bedrock Engine.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The objective of the game remains the same as its Java Edition and Pocket Edition counterparts, where players can build virtual realities in a sandbox-like environment. There is no preset goal; the player may choose to set their own goals.
For the most part, the Console Edition of the game is almost identical to the Java Edition but with few apparent differences, but was released with the Xbox 360 Edition in an earlier version equivalent to the Java Edition Beta 1.6.6, rather than the current Java Edition version at the time of release, 1.2.5. The Wii U Edition was released with an earlier version equivalent to the Java Edition 1.6.4, rather than the current Java Edition version at the time of release, 1.8.9.
Differences from the Java Edition[edit | edit source]
Differences from Java Edition 1.12 include:
- The game features splitscreen functionality, however an HDTV with a Component or HDMI cable is required for split-screen play. Split-screen functionality works with a VGA connection to a PC monitor as well as HDMI-to-DVI cables to a PC monitor. Up to 4 players can play in split screen, as well as the possibility to play 8-person online multiplayer game modes in split-screen (or even local wireless communications on Switch). The "PlayStation Vita Edition" only supports up to 2-4 players online and Ad-Hoc support.
- The game includes an automatic crafting system where you do not have to place the blocks in the grid. However, there is an option to use the Java Edition crafting.
- The Console Edition includes a tutorial mode not included in the Java Edition. This tutorial leads the player through the basics of digging and placing blocks, crafting, as well as building their first house to survive the night, fishing, enchanting, brewing, and more.
- The Zombie Villager sound is outdated.
- The Player always begins a new world with an empty map.
- For the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, the PlayStation Vita and Wii U, the world size is limited to 864×864 blocks. Because the outer-most block is unusable on each side of the map, it is effectively 862×862 blocks that can be used. The worlds on the Nintendo Switch can be up to 3072x3072, whereas the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 can be up to 5120x5120.
- The Nether is limited in size and because of this the movement distance in the Nether vs. the Overworld is 1:3 versus 1:8 in the Java Edition (1:6 in Switch Edition). Consequently the Nether is limited to about 288×288 for the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U versions, and to about 512x512 for the Nintendo Switch. The End also uses the aforementioned sizes.
- Skins can only be chosen from those available as default or from downloadable content.
- Breeding and utility mob spawning works the same as the Java Edition with the exception of limiting tamed wolf and snow golem populations to 16. If the player attempts to tame or breed a 17th wolf, it will be killed by other wolves, and if a player attempts to build a 17th snow golem, upon placing the pumpkin all three blocks will break, dropping one pumpkin and eight snowballs. Also, wolf pups are born with full health and reach adulthood without player input.
- The edge of the world cannot be mined and is completely sea. The edge of the map is a strip of water surrounding the map followed by an invisible barrier in which all players cannot gain access to. This can cause problems as sometimes chests in abandoned mineshafts generate at the edge of the map, causing the player to make and place a new chest next to said chest in order to access all the previously inaccessible items.
- Creative mode flying does not conserve momentum, meaning if you sprint and stop quickly, you will not drift to another block.
- When building a portal to the Nether in a superflat world, the Nether will also be flat.
- Nether wart randomly spawns on soul sand in the Nether, while in the Java Edition, nether wart can only spawn in nether fortresses.
- The edge of the Nether is made of bedrock.
- The PlayStation Vita Edition and Nintendo Switch Edition have Ad-Hoc support, like an offline multiplayer service. It can be toggled on or off (Online or Ad-Hoc), and is also similar to LAN servers but without internet connection.
- Statistics are replaced with leaderboards, with the exception of Wii U and Nintendo Switch Edition.
Achievements, Trophies[edit | edit source]
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Actual requirements (if different)||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|Taking Inventory||Press '[defaults to /]' to open your inventory.||Open your inventory.
The description will match the configured inventory key.
|Getting Wood||Attack a tree until a block of wood pops out||Pick up Wood from the ground.||10G||Bronze|
|Benchmaking||Craft a workbench with four blocks of planks||10G||Bronze|
|Time to Farm!||Use planks and sticks to make a hoe||Pick up a Wooden Hoe from a Crafting Table.||10G||Bronze|
|Bake Bread||Turn wheat into bread||Pick up Bread from a Crafting Table.||20G||Silver|
|The Lie||Wheat, sugar, milk, and eggs!||Pick up a Cake from a Crafting Table.||40G||Silver|
|Time to Strike!||Use planks and sticks to make a sword||Pick up a Wooden Sword from a Crafting Table.||10G||Bronze|
|Monster Hunter||Attack and destroy a monster||20G||Bronze|
|Cow Tipper||Harvest some leather||Pick up Leather from the ground.||15G||Bronze|
|When Pigs Fly||Fly a pig off a cliff||Use a saddle to ride a pig, then have the pig get hurt from fall damage while riding it.||40G||Gold|
|Time to Mine!||Use planks and sticks to make a pickaxe||Pick up a Wooden Pickaxe from a Crafting Table.||10G||Bronze|
|Getting an Upgrade||Construct a better pickaxe||Pick up a Stone Pickaxe from a Crafting Table.||15G||Bronze|
|Hot Topic||Construct a furnace out of eight stone blocks||Pick up a Furnace from a Crafting Table.||15G||Bronze|
|Delicious Fish||Catch and cook fish!||Remove a Cooked Fish from a Furnace.||15G||Silver|
|Acquire Hardware||Smelt an iron ingot||Remove an Iron Ingot from a Furnace.||15G||Silver|
|On A Rail||Travel by minecart at least 500 m from where you started||Travel by minecart to a point at least 500 m in a single direction from where you started.||40G||Gold|
|Into The Nether||Build a portal to the Nether||Enter a Nether Portal.||40G||Silver|
|MOAR Tools||Construct one type of each tool (one pickaxe, one spade, one axe and one hoe).||—||15G|
|Dispense With This||Construct a Dispenser.||20G||Silver|
|Leader Of The Pack||Befriend five Wolves.||This does not have to be in a single game, so multiple games or reloading old saves does count toward this achievement.||30G||Silver|
|Sniper Duel||Kill a skeleton or wither skeleton with an arrow from more than 50 meters.||"50 meters" is 50 blocks away.||30G||Silver|
|DIAMONDS!||Acquire diamonds with your iron tools.||Pick up a Diamond from the ground.||20G||Gold|
|Return to Sender||Destroy a Ghast with a fireball.||Kill a Ghast using its own fireball.||30G||Gold|
|Into Fire||Relieve a Blaze of its rod||Pick up a Blaze Rod from the ground.||20G||Silver|
|Local Brewery||Brew a potion.||Pick up a Potion from a Brewing Stand. An already-created potion placed and removed qualifies.||15G||Silver|
|The End?||Locate the End||Enter an End Portal.||20G||Gold|
|The End.||Defeat the Enderdragon.||Enter the End exit portal while being in the End.||40G||Bronze (Gold on PS3)|
|Enchanter||Use a book, obsidian and diamonds to construct an enchantment table.||Pick up an Enchantment Table from a Crafting Table.||20G||Silver|
|Awarded All Trophies||All trophies have been rewarded||Collect all trophies except for The Beginning?, The Beginning, Beaconator, Overpowered, Tie Dyed Outfit and Trampoline (for PS4).||—||Platinum|
|Overkill||Deal nine hearts of damage in a single hit||Damage can be dealt to any mob, even those that do not have nine hearts of health overall.||30G||—|
|Librarian||Build some bookshelves to improve your enchantment table||Pick up a bookshelf from a crafting table output.||20G||—|
|Adventuring Time||Discover 17 of the 40 different biomes||Visit these 17 biomes.||40G||Silver|
|The Beginning?||Spawn the Wither||Be within a 100.9×100.9×103.5 cuboid centered on the Wither when it is spawned.||20G||Bronze|
|The Beginning.||Kill the Wither||Be within a 100.9×100.9×203.5 cuboid centered on the Wither when it drops the nether star.||40G||—|
|Beaconator||Create a full beacon.||Be within a 20×20×14 cuboid centered on the pyramid when the beacon block realizes it is fully powered.||60G||—|
|Repopulation||Breed two cows with wheat||Breed two cows or two mooshrooms.||15G||—|
|Diamonds to you!||Throw diamonds at another player.||Drop a diamond with your drop-item key (default is /). Another player or a zombie must then pick up this diamond. If picked up by a player, the diamond must create a new stack in their inventory.||15G||—|
|Overpowered||Eat a Notch Apple.||Eat an enchanted golden apple.||30G||—|
|Pork Chop||Cook and eat a pork chop.||10G||Bronze|
|Passing the Time||Play for 100 days.||Play for 100 Minecraft days, which is equivalent to 33 hours in real time.||20G||Bronze|
|The Haggler||Mine or purchase 30 Emeralds.||You can do this in different worlds||30G||Sliver|
|Pot Planter||Craft and place a Flower Pot.||15G||Bronze|
|It's a Sign!||Craft and place a Sign.||15G||Bronze|
|Iron Belly||Stop starvation using Rotten Flesh||20G||Bronze|
|Have a Shearful Day||Use Shears to obtain wool from a sheep.||15G||Bronze|
|Rainbow Collection||Gather all 16 colors of wool.||30G||Sliver|
|Stayin' Frosty||Swim in lava while having the Fire Resistance effect.||20G||Bronze|
|Chestful of Cobblestone||Mine 1,728 Cobblestone and place it in a chest||20G||Bronze|
|Renewable Energy||Smelt wood trunks using charcoal to make more charcoal.||10G||Bronze|
|Music to my Ears||Play a music disc in a Jukebox.||20G||Bronze|
|Body Guard||Create an Iron Golem.||20G||Bronze|
|Iron Man||Wear a full suit of Iron Armour||Can also be done in existing worlds||15G||Bronze|
|Zombie Doctor||Cure a zombie villager.||Throw a splash potion of weakness at a zombie villager and give it a golden apple (by facing the zombie and pressing // with a golden apple in your hand)||40G||Gold|
|Lion Tamer||Tame an Ocelot||15G||Bronze|
|Archer||Kill a creeper with arrows.||10G||Bronze|
|Tie Dye Outfit||Dye all 4 unique pieces of Leather Armor.||15G||—|
|Trampoline||Bounce 30 blocks upward off a Slime Block.||15G||—|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- 4J Studios, the company making the Minecraft port for consoles, also made several other video game ports, namely Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, and Perfect Dark for XBLA as well as The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for PS3.
- Notch stated that the Xbox 360 would be the sole console provider of Minecraft. However, Sony later annnounced that there would be versions for the PS3, PS4, and Vita released. Then, Mojang would later announce a Wii U edition.
- There is no way to modify Console Edition legitimately, but it can be cracked to do so. Notice that there is a chance for you to get banned when using mods, except on Wii U.
- You can grab edge blocks with sticky pistons. However, it's impossible to push blocks into the edge.
- Spiders can climb the edge of the world, as it's classed as a block.
References[edit | edit source]
- Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition PEGI Rating
- Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition ESRB Rating
- Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition ACB Rating