In the Overworld, clouds appear at layer 127. They help with direction and are merely aesthetically pleasing. They always float in the same direction - towards the west - making it easy to use them to get the player's bearings.
 Fancy graphics
On Fancy graphics, clouds appear as about four block tall semi-transparent prisms. In the nighttime they turn a shade of blue and become more transparent. Their smallest horizontal dimensions are 12×12 blocks wide. They are similar in appearance to the real life cloud type stratocumulus.
 Fast graphics
On Fast graphics, clouds appear as opaque planes. They have no daytime/nighttime rotation. Their smallest horizontal dimensions are 8×8 blocks wide. Fast clouds in Pocket Edition are also opaque, but remain in 3D.
Unlike many things in Minecraft, clouds are not procedurally generated. With a resource pack, clouds' color can be changed to anything, meaning you could have pink clouds if you so desired. The file can be resized to any size, meaning it would be possible to have a different cloud pattern each day.
|1.8||Prior to this update, clouds existed between layers 108 and 112, floating through anything in those layers and obscuring the player's view should he/she be inside them.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre4||Clouds now float towards the west. Before this, they floated north.|
|Beta 1.9-pre5||Clouds can now be disabled in the Video Options menu.|
|1.2.1||Build height increased to 256, allowing for players to build much further above clouds.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.6.0||Added clouds. Clouds could only be seen in Fancy graphics, and if so, the clouds appeared opaque and 2-dimensional, similar to Fast graphics.|
|0.7.0||Clouds are now toggled with the Beautiful skies option.|
|0.7.4||Clouds now have a darker color to correspond to PC's color.|
|0.8.0||build 2||Clouds are always 3D, and are opaque and transparent with Fast and Fancy graphics respectively.|
|0.9.0||build 1||New culling of clouds.|
|Clouds have been made prettier.|
|TU5||Cloud height raised to the top of the map, so clouds can no longer phase through blocks.|
|Cloud movement syncs with the game's time.|
Issues relating to "Clouds" or "Cloud" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- If you switch between fast graphics and fancy graphics, clouds will be in a different place than they were before.
- Clouds are a client-side feature. On an SMP server, the position of clouds is subjective to each individual user, and are not generated server-side.
- In Infdev, clouds had a texture instead of being completely white.
- If a cloud floats through an enclosed area, (e.x. a sky home with a roof) and the sun is above the cloud, you can see the sun through the cloud and roof.
- On Fancy graphics, where clouds are 3-dimensional, signs inside a cloud will be invisible on the outside.
- Clouds are not interactive in any form.
- Rain is generated above Clouds.
- Clouds currently are only transparent from above or inside, not from below. This is broken on 1.8 snapshots (on those versions "below" is defined as when your feet are below the clouds rather than your head). Also the sun and the moon are visible through the clouds from below, even if there's a solid object above the clouds in the way.