Solid surfaced blocks with a minimum of two block spaces above them
Kill Adult: 1–3
Chickens naturally generate on grass blocks with 2 blocks of free space above it at light level of 9 or more.
Growth of chicks can be accelerated by wheat seeds; each item adds 10% of the remaining time.
Thrown eggs have an 1⁄8 chance to spawn a baby chicken. After that, there is a 1⁄32 chance to spawn 4 chicks instead.
If the egg was thrown at a wall at certain angles, the chicken may spawn in the wall and either suffocate (opaque blocks) or pass through entirely (transparent blocks).
Chickens are 0.875 blocks tall, 0.5 blocks wide and 0.8125 blocks long.
Chickens appear to wander around aimlessly, without attempting to stay out of water or avoid falls. When falling they will flap their wings quickly and fall slowly. They are immune to fall damage.
They share some behaviors with other "farm animals":
- They are drawn to light when in a dark environment.
- When struck, they run around quickly and aimlessly.
- They can swim, visibly flapping their wings as they stay on the surface,
- They can be led around by holding a seed, and are also able to breed with seeds.
Chickens are attacked by wild ocelots.
Chicks do not lay eggs, and like other baby animals, they do not drop anything (including experience) if killed. Due to their small size, chicks can pass through openings even smaller than a full block. A chick's height is somewhere in between 0.51 to 0.80 blocks.
|1.0||Chickens can be made by throwing eggs.|
|1.8||Chickens now drop raw chicken. Before this, chickens dropped only feathers at death.|
|Chickens will run away when attacked.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre2||Chickens can be bred with wheat.|
|Beta 1.9-pre3||Baby chickens were added, along with other baby mobs.|
|1.2.1||12w04a||Ocelots attack chickens.|
|12w07a||Chickens have new AI.|
|1.4.2||12w36a||Chickens now use wheat seeds, melon seeds, pumpkin seeds and Nether wart instead of wheat to breed.|
|12w38a||Added new step sounds.|
|1.7.4||13w49a||Added Chicken Jockeys - baby zombies found riding chickens.|
|1.8||14w02a||Baby chicken growth can be accelerated using seeds.|
|1.8-pre1||Chickens can no longer be bred using melon seeds, pumpkin seeds, or nether wart.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.6.0||Baby chickens now spawn randomly along with adult chickens.|
|0.8.0||Chickens follow the player if the player holds pumpkin seeds, melon seeds, beetroot seeds, or wheat seeds.|
|Thrown eggs can now spawn baby chickens.|
|TU5||Chicken will run away when attacked.|
|TU7||Added baby chickens.|
|Chicken can now be bred with seeds.|
|TU14||Baby chickens can now be spawned by using on an adult form of that mob using a spawn egg.|
Issues relating to "Chicken" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- When a chicken is killed off a ledge, the corpse also falls more slowly than normal, and the wings still make a flapping animation.
- Chickens are able to "hide" within hoppers due to their small size, protecting them from lava or water that might be directly on top of the hopper.
- A few weeks before the end of Beta, Notch tweeted that he changed the chickens to ducks, causing a turmoil on Twitter. A few days later, Jeb, still getting feedback on the idea, stated that it was just a joke.
- While you are loading/creating/exiting a world in a Console Edition, the message that appears can say "Is it a Chicken, or a duck?". Also, the summary for the mobs avatars at the end says "... and a chicken... Or is it a duck?".