Solid surfaced blocks with a minimum of two block spaces above them
Kill Adult: 1–3
Chickens naturally generate on grass blocks with 2 blocks of free space above it at light level of 9 or more.
Thrown eggs have an 1⁄8 chance to spawn a baby chicken. If successful, there is a 1⁄32 chance to spawn 4 chicks instead. If the egg was thrown at a wall at certain angles, the chicken may spawn in the wall, causing suffocation.
Baby chickens will grow up in 20 minutes, although the growth can be accelerated by wheat seeds; each use reduces 10% of the remaining time.
Chickens are 0.875 blocks tall, 0.5 blocks wide and 0.8125 blocks long.
Chickens appear to wander around aimlessly, and usually stay out of water. When falling they will flap their wings quickly and fall slowly, making them immune to fall damage. Despite this, they will still avoid falling off cliffs high enough to cause fall damage.
While in a loaded chunk, a chicken will lay one egg every 5 to 10 minutes (6000 to 12000 ticks), unless it is (or was) a part of a chicken jockey. If you are close enough to a chicken when it lays an egg, a popping sound can be heard.
They share some behaviors with other "farm animals":
- They are drawn to light when in a dark environment.
- When struck, they run around quickly and aimlessly.
- They can swim, visibly flapping their wings as they stay on the surface.
- They can be led around by holding a seed, and are also able to breed with seeds.
Chickens are attacked by wild ocelots.
Chicks do not lay eggs. Due to their small size, they can pass through openings even smaller than a full block, though not willingly. A chick's height is somewhere in between 0.51 to 0.80 blocks.
|1.0||Chickens can be spawned by throwing eggs.|
|1.8||Chickens now drop raw chicken. Before this, chickens dropped only feathers upon death.|
|Chickens will run away when attacked.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre2||Chickens can be bred with wheat.|
|Beta 1.9-pre3||Baby chickens were added.|
|1.2.1||12w04a||Ocelots attack chickens.|
|12w07a||Chickens have new AI.|
|1.4.2||12w36a||Chickens now use wheat seeds, melon seeds, pumpkin seeds and nether wart instead of wheat to breed.|
|12w38a||Added new step sounds.|
|1.7.4||13w49a||Added chicken jockeys - baby zombies found riding chickens.|
|1.8||14w02a||Baby chicken growth can be accelerated using seeds.|
|14w34d||Chickens can no longer be bred using melon seeds, pumpkin seeds, or nether wart.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.6.0||Chickens and chicks now spawn randomly.|
|0.7.0||Chickens now lay eggs and have a 1 in 8 to spawn a chick and a 1 in 254 chance an egg will hatch 4 chickens.|
|0.8.0||Chickens follow the player if the player holds pumpkin seeds, melon seeds, beetroot seeds, or wheat seeds.|
|Thrown eggs can now spawn baby chickens.|
|0.10.0||Chickens no longer have a black texture on their chin.|
|TU5||Chicken will run away when attacked.|
|TU7||Added baby chickens.|
|Chicken can now be bred with seeds.|
|TU14||Baby chickens can now be spawned by using on an adult form of that mob using a spawn egg.|
Issues relating to "Chicken" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- When a chicken is killed off a ledge, the corpse also falls more slowly than normal, and the wings still make a flapping animation.
- Chickens are able to "hide" within hoppers due to their small size, protecting them from lava or water that might be directly on top of the hopper.
- A few weeks before the end of Beta, Notch tweeted that he changed the chickens to ducks, causing a turmoil on Twitter. A few days later, Jeb, still getting feedback on the idea, stated that it was just a joke.
- While you are loading/creating/exiting a world on Console Edition, the message that appears can say "Is it a Chicken, or a duck?". Also, the summary for the mobs avatars at the end says "... and a chicken... Or is it a duck?".