The cave spider is a neutral mob that can inflict poisoning.
Spawning[edit | edit source]
Monster spawners[edit | edit source]
Drops[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Cave spiders inherit most of their behavior from regular spiders:
- They are pacified (made neutral) by bright light (daylight or light levels of 9 or higher) but will continue attacking regardless of light change once hostile. Subjecting them to darkness will render them hostile.
- They can climb walls when needed.
- They attack by leaping at the player.
- They are unaffected by cobwebs or poison.
- Can fit through a space that is 1 block wide and half a block tall.
- Runs much faster than spiders (in Pocket Edition).
- Poison damage does not work when the player has 2 health left.
- Can go through the spaces between Nether Brick and Normal Fences.
However, cave spiders will not spawn with beneficial status effects and cannot spawn as spider jockeys, except in Pocket Edition.
Venom[edit | edit source]
Data values[edit | edit source]
- See also: Chunk format
Cave spiders have entity data associated with them that contain various properties of the mob. Their entity ID is
History[edit | edit source]
|1.8||1.8-pre1||Added cave spiders.|
|1.0.0||Cave spider's health points reduced from 20 () to 12 ().|
|1.2.1||12w06a||Cave spiders swim extremely fast with the water stream towards the player, but seem to be almost not moving against the water stream. They can also climb ice blocks.|
|1.8||14w06a||Cave spiders can no longer draw line of sight through opaque blocks, and have been given the new AI that regular spiders have recieved.|
|14w11a||Now run away from creepers that are about to explode.|
|?||Cave spiders' venom is no longer neutralized by splash potions of weakness, which may or may not be a bug.|
|1.8.1||1.8.1-pre1||No longer runs away from creepers that are about to explode.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.11.0||build 1||Added cave spiders.|
|0.12.1||build 1||Cave Spiders now have a walking sound.|
|build 1||Cave Spiders now drop spider eyes.|
|TU5||CU1||1.0||Patch 1||Added cave spiders.|
|TU12||Cave spiders swim extremely fast with the water stream towards the player, but seem to be almost motionless against the water stream. They can also climb ice blocks.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Cave Spider” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The cave spider's texture appears to be at a higher-resolution than its normal counterpart - this is because the textures occupy a smaller space.
- Despite being smaller, they have the same size shadow as a normal spider.
- If cave spiders are allowed to spawn naturally via hacks, they will only spawn if the light level is 7 or below (like most other hostile mobs).
Gallery[edit | edit source]
A Cave spider and its spawner.