Abandoned Mine Shafts
The Cave Spider is a neutral mob that can inflict poisoning.
Cave spiders inherit most of their behavior from regular spiders:
- They are pacified (made neutral) by bright light—daylight or light levels of 9 or higher. Likewise, subjecting them to darkness will render them hostile.
- They can climb walls when needed and leap at the player.
- They are not affected by cobwebs or splash potions of poison.
- A cave spider can hold its breath underwater for about 16 seconds (320 game ticks), as with other mobs and the player. It takes about 6 seconds (120 game ticks) to suffocate a cave spider to death.
They have two big differences from regular Spiders: One is the much smaller size of the cave spider: they take up only a fraction of a block space, specifically 0.7 x 0.7 x 0.5 of a block. Note that if both cave and regular spiders are trying to reach the player through the same 1x1x1 size opening, the regular spiders tend to crowd the opening (which they can't pass), and block the path of the cave spiders.
The cave spider's other special feature is its poisonous bite. When bitten by a cave spider on any difficulty except Easy, the player is inflicted with Poison I effect, which lasts for 7 seconds on Normal difficulty, or 15 seconds on Hard. If they are suffering from the Weakness potion effect, or the difficulty is on Easy, they will not inflict poisoning.
|1.8||1.8-pre1||Added cave spiders.|
|1.0.0||Cave spider's health points reduced from 20 ( × 10) to 12 ().|
|1.2.1||12w06a||Cave spiders swim extremely fast with the water stream towards the player, but seem to be almost not moving against the water stream. They can also climb ice blocks.|
|1.8||14w06a||Cave spiders can no longer draw line of sight through opaque blocks, and have been given the new AI that regular spiders have recieved.|
|14w11a||Now run away from creepers that are about to explode.|
|Cave spiders' venom is no longer neutralized by splash potions of Weakness, which may or may not be a bug.|
|1.8.1||1.8.1-pre1||No longer runs away from creepers that are about to explode.|
|TU5||Added cave spiders.|
|TU12||Cave spiders swim extremely fast with the water stream towards the player, but seem to be almost not moving against the water stream. They can also climb ice blocks.|
Issues relating to "Cave Spider" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- The Cave Spider's texture appears to be at a higher-resolution than its normal counterpart - this is because the textures occupy a smaller space.
- Despite being smaller, they have the same size shadow as a normal spider.
- Cave spiders are one of the five mobs that give a debuff to the player, the other four being the Wither, the Wither skeleton, the witch, and the Elder Guardian.
- If cave spiders are allowed to spawn naturally via hacks, they will only spawn if the light level is 7 or below (like most other hostile mobs).
Cave Spider and its spawner.