The cave spider is a neutral mob that can inflict poisoning.
Cave spiders inherit most of their behavior from regular spiders:
- They are pacified (made neutral) by bright light (daylight or light levels of 9 or higher). Likewise, subjecting them to darkness will render them hostile.
- They can climb walls when needed.
- They attack by leaping at the player.
- They are not affected by cobwebs or poison.
However, cave spiders will not spawn with beneficial status effects and cannot spawn as spider jockeys.
|1.8||1.8-pre1||Added cave spiders.|
|1.0.0||Cave spider's health points reduced from 20 ( × 10) to 12 ().|
|1.2.1||12w06a||Cave spiders swim extremely fast with the water stream towards the player, but seem to be almost not moving against the water stream. They can also climb ice blocks.|
|1.8||14w06a||Cave spiders can no longer draw line of sight through opaque blocks, and have been given the new AI that regular spiders have recieved.|
|14w11a||Now run away from creepers that are about to explode.|
|Cave spiders' venom is no longer neutralized by splash potions of weakness, which may or may not be a bug.|
|1.8.1||1.8.1-pre1||No longer runs away from creepers that are about to explode.|
|TU5||Added cave spiders.|
|TU12||Cave spiders swim extremely fast with the water stream towards the player, but seem to be almost motionless against the water stream. They can also climb ice blocks.|
Issues relating to "Cave Spider" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- The cave spider's texture appears to be at a higher-resolution than its normal counterpart - this is because the textures occupy a smaller space.
- Despite being smaller, they have the same size shadow as a normal spider.
- If cave spiders are allowed to spawn naturally via hacks, they will only spawn if the light level is 7 or below (like most other hostile mobs).
Cave spider and its spawner.