dec: 171 hex: AB bin: 10101011
Carpets are thin blocks which are mainly used for decoration.
Carpets can be mined using any tool, or without a tool. Unlike wool, carpets are not destroyed quicker when using shears.
|Breaking time[note 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools in seconds.
Carpets are the same thickness as pressure plates. They have a hitbox of 1⁄16 of a block. Carpets cover the entire square they are placed on, unlike pressure plates.
Carpets can be placed on any block, including non-solid blocks.
Carpets can be pushed and pulled by pistons, but will pop off if pushed onto a hole or pulled downwards. They can break falling sand and gravel.
Mob AI register carpet as an air block. They will still be able to spawn on carpet as well.
Carpets are an opaque block, however, it does not decrease light going through it.
||The color of the carpet.|
Note: This video is outdated, as carpets are now flammable as of 1.7.2
|Crafting returned 1 carpet from two wool.|
|13w17a||Crafting now returns 3 carpets.|
|13w24b||Carpets can be placed on top of any block, including non-solid blocks.|
|1.7.2||13w41b||Carpets are now flammable.|
|1.8||Carpets now have a hitbox of 1/16 of a block instead of 0|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.8.0||build 2||Carpets added with all 16 colors. Only red carpets can be crafted in Survival.|
|0.9.0||build 1||Brown carpet now naturally spawns in villages.|
|All carpets can be obtained in survival mode.|
Issues relating to "Carpet" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- Carpets placed above, or around, mushrooms growing naturally under trees will break the mushrooms if the mushroom is in a high light level, but will not break the carpet, leaving a floating carpet.
- If the player sprints across carpet, the particle effects are those of the blocks that are directly below it.
- Carpet will not prevent the formation of ice.
- Carpet can safely be placed on top of farmland, although it will not protect the farmland from jumping entities.
Carpeted floor. There are some jack o'lanterns below them, so this area is well lit without torches.