dec: 498 hex: 1F2 bin: 111110010
The camera is an entity and item that is capable of capturing and storing images.
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
The camera cannot be obtained by crafting or through the creative inventory; it can only be obtained by editing the inventory with third party applications.
Usage[edit | edit source]
The camera currently does not function entirely correctly, and still experiences some buggy behavior. It is possible to use it by either placing it down and tapping the button (currently this does not display any text, but it can be seen above the hotbar), or by tapping in the air near the camera. When placed down and activated, it will start to emit flash and smoke particles, then it will 'explode' and disappear (although it may cause a crash on some devices), then it will drop itself back (however, this is not currently the case due to a bug). Images won't be saved.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The camera's texture underneath is rotated incorrectly.
- Cameras take damage like other mobs, because they are entities. They have no 'hurt' animation (they do not flash red). They are affected by knockback.
- You can kill a camera by placing it at a lethal height. Since it is an entity, it will fall and display a death animation without it flashing red.
- Upon exiting a world with cameras and rejoining, all cameras will turn into lightning bolt which acts like normal lightning.
- In multiplayer, cameras placed will make a lightning sound and become invisible to any players that are not the host.
- It is possible to spawn cameras by using an inventory editor to acquire a Spawn Egg with a damage value of 62.
History[edit | edit source]
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.1.0||The camera was first found in the Pocket Edition .apk file. To use a camera, equip it in your hand, then look in the direction you want the picture to be taken. Long-press the screen, and a camera will drop to the ground where you are standing. Step back, then press on the camera until it starts emitting smoke particles. The smoke means a picture has been taken, and the camera may disappear immediately afterwards. Cameras have infinite uses.|
|May 17, 2012||The item ID for the camera (456) was discovered and the object was seen in-game by players for the first time.|
|0.2.0||Original camera tripod texture removed.|
|0.5.0||The camera is now invisible and makes the standard player damage sound.|
|0.7.0||Added the "F1" feature (Hide GUI) making the camera obsolete.|
|0.8.0||Camera looks like an egg in player's inventory.|
|0.9.0||build 1||The camera entity was removed. Tommaso also stated: "It doesn't mean that it's dead forever, in fact I have a lot of ideas for it! I think it will be back when have shaders, sharing and redstone."|
|0.14.0||build 1||Re-added camera. It is currently unobtainable in-game.|
|0.14.2||The camera item ID changed to 498, but it cannot be used at the moment. However, according to the language files of MCPE, the empty label that shows up whenever hovering a finger to a camera would now say "Take Picture".|
|0.15.0||build 1||The previous empty label mentioned above now displays the words "Take Picture".|
Future[edit | edit source]
At the Minecraft Pocket Edition panel at MineCon 2012, as well as one of Jbernhardsson's livestreams, it was stated that future plans include trying to have a proper use for cameras, perhaps an easier way to take screenshots and share them with others. In the BlockTalk Q&A, the camera was briefly mentioned as part of a broader "sharing" theme planned for MCPE in the future.
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Camera” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Reddit - Found image file for camera in Minecraft Portable Edition Demo APK file.