No (Yes, in Console Edition)
After the cake is crafted, the three (now empty) buckets go straight into the player's inventory, rather than staying on the crafting table. If there is no space in the inventory, they will remain on the crafting table.
- See also: Hunger Management
Unlike most foods, cake cannot be eaten as an item in the hotbar. Before being eaten, it must first be placed on top of another block.
To eat from a placed cake, right-click on the cake. Each cake has six "slices", and each use will consume one slice. A single slice restores 2 hunger () and 0.4 hunger saturation. Eating all six slices of a cake restores 12 hunger () and 2.4 hunger saturation.
Unlike the eating of other foods, eating a slice of cake is instantaneous (an entire cake can be eaten as fast as it can be clicked) and makes no sound. Multiple players can eat from the same cake at the same time.
|Icon||Achievement||In-game description||Prerequisites||Actual requirements (if different)||Version restriction||Xbox points earned||Trophy type (PS)|
|The Lie||Wheat, sugar, milk, and eggs||Time to Farm!||Pick up a Cake from a Crafting Table output.||PC||N/A||N/A|
|Bake cake using wheat, sugar, milk, and eggs!||Xbox and PS||40G||Silver|
|November 23, 2010||Notch stated if Minecraft won the 2010 Indie of the Year Awards, he would add cake to Minecraft.|
|1.2||When he earned the title it was added, healing 18 ( × 9).|
|1.5||Achievements were added, including "The Lie".|
|1.8||Now cake fills 12 ().|
|1.2||When crafted, the empty buckets are now moved to the player's inventory, rather than staying in the crafting grid.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|TU6||Cake is stackable.|
Issues relating to "Cake" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- Since cake is only 7/8 blocks wide, it is possible to stand on the edge of a block beneath a cake.
- Cake will destroy falling sand and falling gravel if placed under them, similar to a torch.
- It is possible to place cake on top of cake by placing a cake on the ground, then placing another cake on the side of a block above and to the side of the first cake, similar to placing torches on a chest. Eating the lower cake completely will cause the upper cake to disappear, same as mining out the block of cake it is sitting on.
- When cake is placed on ice, walking on the cake will let you slip and slide as if you were standing on the ice, like other half-blocks.
- Cake, like all transparent blocks, will not prevent chests from opening beneath it.
- Invalid data
- Cake has a data value range of 0-15, but data values 7-15 are not obtainable in survival:
- When the data values of 7-15 are placed in a map, the cake becomes negative in appearance.
- It is impossible to stand on a cake block with a data value of 12 or above. This is because the 'negative' cake block requires the player to be in contact with both edges of the block simultaneously.
- Cake with data values of 7-15 can still be eaten, but will only fill one hunger icon before disappearing.
- Placing a cake makes the same sound as placing wool.
- Cake is rectangular when placed but is circular in the inventory.
- Cake currently holds the record with pistons for having the most complex crafting chain and recipe in game, requiring 9 separate items to be crafted in order to make it, as well as 4 different items to make the cake itself. The record for most individual items, however, will be broken by Rabbit Stew in the 1.8 Update. Rabbit Stew requires 5 different items to craft.
- You can place cake on top of a bed, and while sleeping, the cake shows on your screen as if it were on top of your head.