Sand and space
dec: 81 hex: 51 bin: 1010001
A Cactus (plural Cacti or Cactus) is a plant block that occurs naturally in deserts and mesas.
Cacti can be mined by hand without taking damage. The tool used to mine the cactus does not affect the speed it is mined.
When the spot a cactus is placed in becomes unsuitable, such as when a solid block is placed next to them or their own sand block underneath is harvested or falls, the cactus block will uproot and will drop as an item.
 Natural generation
Cacti naturally occur in desert and mesa biomes. They mainly generate from one, two or three blocks, though sometimes cacti can be found at heights of up to 9 blocks tall if two or three cacti generate on top of each other.
Cacti grow only on sand at a rate of one cactus block every 3-4 minutes, and to a maximum height of three blocks; though, higher stacks can be placed by the player. Cacti can only be placed either on sand, red sand or on other cactus blocks, with no horizontally adjacent solid blocks. Bone meal does not work on cacti to speed its growth. Cacti do not need light to grow and are non-flammable.
Cacti will also destroy any items that come into contact with them, including cacti blocks harvested above them.
When a minecart hits a cactus block, the minecart is dropped as an item. The item is also often destroyed.
|1.0.6||The Cactus was added to the game. Players were hurt 7 () while breaking them.|
|The texture was different to what it is now. The cactus was a full block.|
|1.0.7||Players are now hurt 1 () while breaking them.|
|1.0.11||Cacti can now only be placed on sand, and now have the requirement that the space around it has to be empty. Previously, cacti could be placed to form a damaging floor: both players and mobs take half a heart of damage when they walk on a cactus block. This made it useful for traps, such as a hallway with a cactus block floor that would kill all mobs that walked on it.|
|Collecting cacti no longer hurts the player.|
|The model and texture were updated to have spines around the block.|
|1.8||When dropped onto the world, the Cactus item is no longer slightly larger than most other blocks despite the fact that they were visibly smaller when placed. This was because it used the larger 'item' size, rather than the 'block' size.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.3.3||Fixed a glitch where putting a door next to a cactus would make the door's bottom half invisible and the door completely unopenable.|
Issues relating to "Cactus" or "Cacti" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
- Cacti are not quite a full block wide (3/8 of a block), similar to chests.
- The bottom of a cactus block does not damage the player.
- Cacti can be placed underwater, provided they are placed on sand, and will grow if they break the surface.
- Cacti use the same sound files as wool when they're being broken and placed.
- Cactus can be placed next to saplings, but the cactus will break when the tree grows.
- It takes about 18 seconds for a player to die from cactus (without armor) if the player has full health and the hunger bar is full.
- Endermen can move and place cactus. Thus, they can increase the cactus population in deserts by moving cactus blocks as they grow.
- Signs can be placed on the top of cacti.
- It is possible for cactus to generate on the blocks other than sand due to generated structures.
- Cactus can be used in the desert to see if you are in a newly generated area. If most of the cactus around you is 1 block high then it's new land, because of course 1 block high cactus doesn't stay that way.
Cactus placed by an Enderman, this is possible on any block but the cactus will not grow.