Buttons can be mined with any tool.
Any Wood Planks
Stone buttons are generated naturally in strongholds next to iron doors.
- See also: Redstone circuit
- To place a button, use the "Use Item/Place Block" control (right-click, by default) while aiming at the surface to which it should be attached.
- A button can be attached to the side, bottom and top of any full solid opaque block (stone, dirt, blocks of gold, etc.).
- Buttons are usually in an inactive state, but can be temporarily activated by players. To activate a placed button, use the "Use Item/Place Block" control (right-click, by default). A wooden button can also be activated by a fired arrow.
- Mobs cannot activate buttons directly, but arrows fired by skeletons or dispensers can activate wooden buttons.
- When activated, a stone button will remain active for 10 redstone ticks (1 second, barring lag), while a wooden button will remain active for 15 redstone ticks (1.5 seconds, barring lag). A wooden button activated by a fired arrow will remain active until the arrow despawns after one minute or is picked up.
- While active, a button:
- powers any adjacent redstone dust to power level 15, including beneath the button
- powers any adjacent redstone comparators or redstone repeaters facing away from the button to power level 15
- strongly powers its attachment block to power level 15
- activates any adjacent mechanism components, including above or below, such as pistons, redstone lamps, etc.
- To remove a button, use the "Attack/Destroy" control (left-click, by default). Removing a button takes 0.75 seconds and it will drop itself as an item.
- A button will also be removed and drop itself as an item:
- A button will be destroyed without dropping itself as an item if lava flows into its space.
A button's block data stores its placement, and whether it is active:
Three bits storing a value from 0 to 5:
|0x8||If this bit is set, the button is active.|
|1.0.1||The Button was introduced in the Seecret Friday Update 3.|
|1.5_01||The hitbox for the button was off. The space in front of the button had to be clicked for it to be pressed.|
|1.6.6||The hitbox error was fixed, with the side effect that you cannot punch through doors anymore.|
|1.0.0||Beta 1.9-pre5||Fixed lag causing buttons to stick for longer than their intended time on servers.|
|1.4.2||12w34a||Wooden buttons were added. They could be triggered by arrows as well as players.|
|12w34b||A new crafting recipe was created for both stone and wooden buttons to avoid conflict with the sticks recipe.|
|1.8||14w04a||Buttons are now able to be placed on the top and bottom of blocks.|
|TU1||Added buttons (the original stone ones).|
|TU9||Added wooden buttons. Unlike its original launch in the PC version, they could not be activated by shooting them with arrows.|
|Stone button now crafted using one block of stone instead of two.|
|TU14||Wooden buttons can now be triggered by arrows.|
The pre-1.4.2 crafting recipe for the stone button required two stone blocks:
Issues relating to "Button" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.