dec: 35115 hex: 15F15 bin: 10101111115
Bone meal is a material that can be used as a dye as well as a fertilizer for most plants.
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Usage[edit | edit source]
Dye[edit | edit source]
Like all other dyes, bone meal can be:
- Applied to sheep to dye their wool, which can then be shorn for 1–3 blocks of white wool.
- Applied to tamed wolves to dye their collars.
- Combined with gunpowder to make a firework star.
- Combined with a firework star to create a “fade to color” effect.
- Used to dye leather armor.
- Used to stain glass or hardened clay.
- Used to add patterns to banners.
Crafting ingredient[edit | edit source]
Up to eight dyes can be added.
Hardened Clay +
Ink Sac +
Cactus Green +
Ink Sac +
Gray Dye +
Rose Red +
Lapis Lazuli +
White Banner pattern
Bone Meal +
White Banner image
Fertilizer[edit | edit source]
- Seeds, potatoes, carrots: The plant will grow 2–5 growth stages.
- Beetroots: The plant has a 75% chance of growing to the next growth stage.
- Melon and pumpkin seeds: The planted stem will grow 2–5 growth stages. Bone meal only affects the stem itself; it will not cause melons or pumpkins to sprout from a mature stem.
- Saplings: The sapling has a 45% chance of growing to the next growth stage, if possible. Saplings have two growth stages (with no visible difference between them) before growing into trees as the third stage. A tree will not grow if the sapling is not planted in proper ground or if sufficient space is not available.
- Grass blocks: Tall grass, and usually a few flowers, will form on the targeted block and on randomly-selected adjacent grass blocks up to 7 blocks away (taxicab distance). The flowers that appear are dependent on the biome, meaning that in order to obtain specific flowers, the player must travel to biomes where the flowers are found naturally. See flowers for more information.
- Sunflowers, lilacs, rose bushes, and peonies: The corresponding item form will drop, without destroying the original plant.
- Tall grass and ferns: A one-block-high tall grass or fern (that is on dirt, grass, or farmland) will grow into a two-block-high tall grass or fern.
- Mushrooms: Has a 40% chance of growing into a huge mushroom if on dirt, grass, podzol or mycelium.
- Cocoa: The cocoa plant will grow 1 growth stage.
- Sugar canes: On the Pocket Edition only, bone meal grows sugar cane to maximum height (three blocks tall).
- Flowers: In Pocket Edition, using bone meal on one-block-high flowers will make more flowers grow in the surrounding area. Dandelions will produce dandelions, and other flowers will produce poppies.
Data values[edit | edit source]
Bone meal has the ID name
minecraft:dye, with a data value of 15.
|7||Light Gray Dye|
|12||Light Blue Dye|
Video[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
|1.2||Bone meal added.|
|1.6.6||Bone meal can now be applied on grass blocks.|
|1.8||1.8-pre1||Bone meal can be used on mushrooms to make Huge Mushrooms, and the block the mushroom is on changes to dirt.|
|1.8-pre2||Bone meal can now be applied on pumpkin and melon seeds.|
|1.3.1||12w19a||Bone meal can now be applied on cocoa beans.|
|12w25a||Fixed being able to use bone meal in dark rooms.|
|?||A fully grown crop can no longer accept bone meal..|
|1.4.2||12w34a||Bone meal can be used to dye leather armor and tamed wolf's collar.|
|1.4.6||12w49a||Bone meal can be crafted with gunpowder to create a firework star.|
|1.5||13w04a||Bone meal is significantly nerfed.
Wheat, melon and pumpkin seeds, potatoes and carrots: one bone meal is consumed for all seven stages of growth. (Melon and pumpkin seeds do not spawn right away)
|Green particles are now displayed when bone meal is used.|
|Bone meal can be used from dispensers.|
|13w05a||Adjusted balancing of bone meal. Growing a plant to its last state now takes on average 2-5 uses of bonemeal (results vary from plant to plant).|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|0.3.3||Added bone meal.|
|0.8.0||build 2||No longer instantly grows crops to full size.|
|build 5||Pumpkin and melon stems only grow by one when bone meal is used|
|Some flowers now spawn certain other flowers when bone meal is used on them.|
|Can grow ferns and tall grass in Survival and Creative.|
|Now grows sugar canes to maximum height.|
|TU19||CU7||1.12||No longer instantly grows crops to full size.|
Issues[edit | edit source]
Issues relating to “Bone Meal” are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Bone meal can be used on the sides or bottom of a grass block, as well as on a grass block with plants already on top of it.
- Regardless of if it succeeds in fertilizing, bone meal makes green sparkles. However, like smoke from a torch, the sparkles only appear if the player has particles set All or Decreased.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Bonemeal used on grass blocks