Block of Coal
dec: 173 hex: AD bin: 10101101
The Block of Coal (also known as Coal Block) is a compact way to store coal, and can be used for decoration and fuel.
As a fuel source, it can smelt 80 items, whereas every coal used one-by-one would only result in 72 items smelted. The block of coal itself is flammable, and burns in much the same manner as wood.
Blocks of coal can only be crafted with regular coal, not charcoal. It is crafted in the same way as other mineral blocks.
 As a crafting ingredient
A block of coal can be crafted back into 9 coal items, making it useful as a storage block.
|Coal||Block of Coal||
 As a fuel
Blocks of coal can be used as fuel in a furnace. One block of coal smelts 80 items, which is more than the smelting time of the 9 coal items used to craft it. Note that since only 64 items can fit in the furnace at a time, to prevent wasting fuel you should restock the smelting items before they run out, and empty the output slot before it fills up. Hoppers come in handy for automating this, but be warned: using a hopper to unload a furnace forfeits any experience from the smelting.
|1.6||13w18a||Added block of coal.|
|13w18c||Smelting time was changed from 720 to 800 seconds.|
|13w19a||Changed the texture of block of coal from to .|
|Made blocks of coal flammable.|
Issues relating to "Block of Coal" are maintained on Mojira. Report issues there.
- Blocks of Coal was originally a recolored Block of Redstone texture, but was later changed to be a recolored Nether Quartz Ore texture.
- Cannot be crafted using charcoal due to logical issues with crafting and destroying.
- Blocks of coal cannot be used as fuel for the minecart with furnace.
- A full stack of coal blocks can smelt a little over fifty times as many items as a bucket of lava.
- 31,104 coal is needed to fill a large chest full of coal blocks with 64 blocks in each stack. This would smelt 276480 items which is 80 large chests.
- Blocks of Coal are also used decoratively in roads because of their resemblance to asphalt.