dec: 260 hex: 104 bin: 100000100
 Obtaining apples
There are five sources of apples (excluding creative mode):
- Oak and dark oak leaves have 0.5% (1⁄200) chance of dropping an apple.
- Chests in strongholds or villages.
- The bonus chest.
- Trading with villagers.
- Killing Notch in multiplayer will drop an apple in addition to his inventory.
 As a crafting ingredient
An apple can be used to craft a golden apple or an enchanted golden apple. These recipes don't work on Minecraft Pocket Edition (yet, though Golden Apples may appear in later updates of MCPE.)
Gold Ingot +
Block of Gold +
- Apples are a renewable resource and can be harvested alongside wood.
- While the player is harvesting wood, they receive apples with next to no added effort.
- Apples are needed to craft golden apples, which are extremely beneficial food items.
- Apples can be a good source of food when a player first starts in a new world, as it doesn't consume time planting seeds or killing mobs.
- Apples restore only four hunger ().
- Players will become hungry again quickly compared to eating bread or meat due to a low saturation value.
- Apples take more effort to farm than other foods, and should generally be considered a by-product of wood harvesting.
- Apples can be an unreliable food source, as even large trees may occasionally drop no apples.
- Also, farming apples as food requires chopping the wood, then waiting for the leaves to decay on their own: On average, breaking 200 leaf blocks will use 5 food units, to produce one apple that only gives 4 units when eaten.
|0.31 (January 11, 2010)||Added red apple. When Indev was still new, apples were items brought in to replace brown mushrooms to heal health. The player would spawn in an Indev House by a chest containing 99 apples and other tools. In later updates, the chests inside the House were removed, and apples became impossible to find in a map.|
|1.0.15||Apples remained impossible to find (without inventory editing or server /give) until Survival Multiplayer, in which one could be obtained by killing Notch. In addition to his inventory, Notch would drop an apple. (Does not seem to work, for example in beta 1.7.3.)|
|1.8||Apples can now be found in chests in strongholds.|
|Apples now restore instead of 4 ()|
|1.1||11w48a||Oak leaves now have a 1/200 chance of dropping an apple when destroyed.|
|1.3.1||12w16a||Apples can now be found in bonus chests.|
|12w21a||Apples can now be purchased from villagers with emeralds.|
|1.4.2||12w37a||Texture changed from to (The item sprite no longer has a dark outline and now has a more detailed look).|
|1.5||The Fortune enchantment now increases the chance of dropping apples.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|Xbox 360 Edition|
|1.2||Added red apples.|
- The sprite of red apples was the same as used in Notch's game Legend of the Chambered.
- In Pocket Edition there is a higher chance of getting apples from decaying leaves.