Adventure mode is a game mode intended for player-created maps by limiting some of the gameplay in Minecraft, in which the player cannot directly destroy most blocks to avoid spoiling adventure maps or griefing servers. Most blocks cannot be destroyed without the proper items. However, players can still craft items and interact with mobs, item frames, and paintings.
Command blocks are intended for use in adventure mode gameplay.
- Blocks cannot be destroyed by hand, and require an item with the CanDestroy tag.
- Blocks require the CanPlaceOn tag to be placed.
- Interaction with mechanisms as well as trading is allowed.
- Compatible in multiplayer.
Uses and Tips for Adventure Mode
- You can use it as a useful way to protect your server from griefing, since blocks cannot be broken in this mode.
- Because of these breakables, you may want to keep tools out of the hands of griefers until you install a protection plugin.
- Adventure Mode can be used for adventure maps, and the breakables can add an interesting feeling to the map. If you only want your players to have a tool at a certain point of time, you can connect a pressure plate with /clear @p(or @a for all players) [itemID].
|Adventure mode, formerly Dungeons and Levers, was announced by Notch on July 7, 2010. Notch hinted at four players to compete in Adventure mode. Adventure mode may include permadeath like in Hardcore mode, making it rogue-like in nature, and may have a quest system with randomly generated maps/quests.|
|1.3.1||12w22a||Added Adventure mode. Accessible through the cheats command, /gamemode 2 <playername> or /gamemode adventure <playername>. It is still possible to craft in Adventure mode both with the 2x2 crafting grid in the player's inventory and with the full sized 3x3 crafting table. The player can still interact with blocks with an interface, such as chests, dispensers, crafting tables, furnaces and brewing stands. The player can also go through portals, but cannot activate one by using flint & steel; flint & steel can be used to activate TNT.|
|1.4.2||12w34a||Certain blocks can now be removed with the correct tools and all blocks can be placed.|
|1.8||14w02a||Block hitboxes no longer appear in Adventure mode if interaction with the block is impossible.|
|Block destroying is now impossible by default.|
|The CanDestroy NBT tag can be used to determine which blocks can be allowed to be broken.|
|14w06a||The CanPlaceOn NBT tag can be used to determine which blocks a block can be placed on |
Issues relating to "Adventure" are maintained on the issue tracker. Report issues there.